14 Şubat 2013 Perşembe

1960's Vintage Caramel Apple Cake Recipe

To contact us Click HERE

Mom had a recipe clipped from my home town newspaper in Utica , N.Y, from 1970's I had never made it and found it tucked away in this old cookbook of hers.
The cake always was on the too sweet side for me but boy did it bring back those childhood memories. I adapted it a little and cut way back on some of the sugar. Added whipped cream to the top. 
As good as it was, it's like seeing an old sitcom from the 60's and once more was enough, I really grew out of this one, do you remember anything like that from your childhood?
 Thanks for stopping by.


Apple Cake From Scratch:

3cups flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups canola oil
2 1/2 cups chopped apples (I use McIntosh)
2 cups sugar (originally calls for 2 1/2 cups and I cut it to 2 cups)
2 teaspoons vanilla
optional: 1 cup chopped pecans (I never add nuts since the kids aren't fond of them)

Grease a 13 x 9 deep cake pan.

Mix the oil, eggs, vanilla and sugar together. Add the flour then the apples. Pour into pan. Pat it down evenly with a spatula.

Bake for 1 hour on 350 degrees preheated oven. Make the caramel below. Poke holes in the cake.
I for one am not a fan of this recipe. It was way too sweet and sugary, however for those who love a sweet cake with gooey caramel you will love this one!  I even cut down the sugar content!  It must be just me because the kids and their friends finished this off quickly. I am not a huge sugar or dessert lover, so again even with the adaptions of cutting back on the sugar it was still too sweet for me.
Caramel Topping:

1- 1/2 sticks of butter
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons whole milk or heavy cream

Place in a small saucepan and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Pour over hot cake.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.

+claudia lamascolo  Author

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder