16 Aralık 2012 Pazar

Slow Cooker Hawaiian Oxtail Soup

To contact us Click HERE



I first saw oxtail soup on Pinterest, and I was intrigued. Ihave always wanted to use oxtail in a recipe, but I have never gotten around toit. I finally bought 2 lbs of oxtail to make a slow cooker Hawaiian oxtailsoup. I have a lot of lemon grass growing in one of my herb pots, and I had afew carrots that were ready to be picked, so I thought this was the perfecttime to make some Hawaiian oxtail soup. Most Hawaiian oxtail soup recipes use star of anise, but I used anise hyssop instead because I have lots of anise hyssop growing in my garden right now. Both star of anise and anise hyssop add a licorice flavor to dishes, so this was a perfect substitution to make my soup utilize more local ingredients. 
This is a very hearty soup with a very rich broth. Duringthe last 30 minutes of cooking, I added lemon grass, my soup enhancer cubes, and anise hyssop whichwere perfect because the greens did not become an over cooked mush. This slowcooker Hawaiian oxtail soup was very filling after a long day. I can see myselfmaking this soup again in fall when I have more carrots available from mygarden.

Ingredients (serves 6) inspired by many sources includingSimply Recipes and In Our Kitchen
  • 2 lbs oxtail
  • 2 tsp coconut oil
  • 6 quarter slow cooker
  • 10 carrots, chopped
  • 2 daikon radishes, chopped
  • ½ cup raw peanuts, soaked over night
  • ½ cup shitake mushrooms, sliced
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 inch piece of ginger, bruised
  • 5 cups Filtered water
  • 4 green soup enhancers
  • 2 large stalks of fresh lemon grass
  • 1 sprig Anise Hyssop
Directions
1.      Sear the oxtail in a pan with the melted coconutoil on medium high heat. Turn the meat on all sides to brown the entire oxtail.You do not want to cook the meat all the way through.2.      Trim the excess fat off the oxtail.3.      Add the oxtail, carrots, radishes, peanuts,mushrooms, orange zest, salt, and ginger to the slow cooker.4.      Fill the slow cooker with water to the top. Iadded about 5 cups water.5.      Cook on low for 10 hours.6.      Add the green soup enhancers, lemon grass, and anise hyssop. 7.      Cook on low for 30 minutes.8.      Remove bones, lemon grass, anise hyssop, and ginger beforeserving.9.      Serve hot in bowls.

Posted on Simple Lives Thursday

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder