16 Aralık 2012 Pazar

Leftover Summer Fruit Baked Oatmeal

To contact us Click HERE



I love summer fruits, but sometimes our family has a hardtime eating all the delicious that come into our house quick enough. I think wehave a tendency to over buy fruit because we are all so excited about all thedelicious fruits coming into season. When I notice our fruits starting to gobad, I usually make large baked oatmeal where I use up any fruit that needs toget eaten. In this case I had some Rainer cherries and apricots that had to beeaten.
I also add whatever nuts that I have on hand. My mom iscurrently visiting, and she has been told to eat more protein, so added a fulltwo cups of nuts to this baked oatmeal. I soaked both the nuts and oats overnight to make the oatmeal easier to digest. My mom loved this baked oatmeal. Shewould eat the leftovers cold while I chose to heat up my leftovers. Little BBQcalled this baked oatmeal a cross between cake and pie. Miss Bubbles can eat ahuge serving of this healthy breakfast in the morning. This leftover summerfruit baked oatmeal was a huge hit at our house.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups steel cut oats (do not use instant oatmeal)
  • ¾ cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups walnuts, chopped
  • 2 cups water
  • ¾ tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 ¼ cups milk or milk substitute
  • ¾ cup honey
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 4 cups mixed fruit, pit removed and chopped
  • 9 x 13 in glass pan, greased

Directions
1.      Mix the oats and buttermilk in a medium sizebowl. Cover the bowl and place in a warm place over night.2.      Mix the nuts and water in a medium size bowl.Cover the bowl and let set over night.3.      Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.4.      Drain the water from the nuts. Rinse the nuts with cool water.5.      Mix the buttermilk oat mixture with the nuts.6.      Add the baking soda, salt, milk, honey, eggs,applesauce, and vanilla. Mix well.7.      Gently add the fruit to the oat mixture andstir.8.      Add the oat mixture to a greased 9 x 13 in glasspan.9.      Bake the oatmeal for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5minutes or until the oatmeal is golden brown on the edges and no longer lookingsoggy in the middle. This baked oatmeal is very moist so a tooth pick will notcome out clean when inserted in the middle.10.  Serve warm.

Posted on Simple Lives Thursday

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder